I love a hearty salad, especially Cobb Salad. It’s usually one of my favorites to order at restaurants. Who else doesn’t want bacon in their salad, right? What I don’t love is all the junk that’s in it, especially in the dressing. Even when I look for blue cheese dressing in the grocery store, it’s usually got a laundry list of ingredients (usually things I can’t even pronounce).
That’s one of the reasons I’m on this real food journey. I want to find a real food version for my old favorites because frankly… I just don’t need all that junk in my body. And certainly I don’t want my kids to eat it either. Not only that, it’s so easy and inexpensive to make your own real food products.
Let’s just revisit the ingredient list of a popular health food store brand of blue cheese dressing:
Canola oil, water, sugar, blue cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese cultures, salt, enzymes, powdered cellulose to prevent caking, natamycin to protect flavor) white vinegar, buttermilk powder, salt, apple cider vinegar, natural flavor maltodextrin and cultured dextrose, lactic acid, citric acid, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate to preserve freshness, black pepper, tocopheryls.
Canola oil is the first ingredient and followed by sugar, as well as bunch of ingredients that could contain gluten and MSG. No thanks! And it’s about $4-5 at my local health food store – whoa! That’s a lot to shell out for a bottle of dressing.
It’s so easy to make a Cobb Salad with this Homemade 5-Ingredient Blue Cheese Dressing with real food ingredients. And get this – you probably have most of the ingredients for the dressing itself in your fridge. You’ll save a ton of money making your own homemade blue cheese dressing with only 5 ingredients – it’s also creamy, hearty and delicious.
- 4-5 cups of Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup cooked chicken (try this slow cooker chicken)
- 1 cup cooked bacon
- 3-4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh corn off the cobb (optional)
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup blue cheese (add 1-2 tbsp more depending on taste)
- 1 cup organic sour cream
- 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
- Juice from half a lemon
- 2 tbsp green onions, finely chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Add lettuce evenly on a [large platterhttp://amzn.to/1T8zstG].
- Layer chicken, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, corn and green onions.
- Add all ingredients to a food processor
- Pulse in a food processor for a few seconds to get the desired consistency (I like my dressing to be relatively smooth with a couple of small chunks).
- Store in a Mason jar and use as needed.
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.