You may have heard of this spice – found in Indian cuisine – and long used in ancient medicine. Now find out 5 reasons you need to eat turmeric every day, including a delicious Tropical Turmeric Smoothie!
Often used as a spicy and flavorful ingredient in Indian cuisine, turmeric is one herb you don’t want to live without. The flavor turmeric brings to your kitchen is only the first benefit on a very long list of reasons why turmeric should always in your spice rack
Within turmeric there is a bioactive ingredient called curcumin, and it is this ingredient that plays the lead role in the health benefits of turmeric. Curcumin contains over 150 therapeutic agents for viruses, bacterium, diseases and other chronic conditions.
Why You Need Turmeric
Let me tell you the many secrets of turmeric… if you don’t already have it in your spice rack, don’t be too hard yourself. It’s never too late to join the turmeric party.
Health Benefits of Turmeric
- May help to curb indigestion and heartburn
- Helps to protect the brain and cardiovascular health
- Helps to decrease inflammation and may help with joint discomfort
- Boosts immunity
- May help to lower cholesterol levels
How to Use Turmeric in the Kitchen
If you’re ready to add turmeric to your diet, I’ve got some important things for you to know first.
Turmeric is a fat-soluble substance so it’s best consumed with fatty foods, and this doesn’t mean eat turmeric on top of your cheeseburger. It means to combine turmeric with healthy fats, such as avocados, coconut oil and nuts (soaked or sprouted works best), to allow the body to better absorb turmeric properly.
Spice up your stir-fry with some turmeric. It adds an extra boost of flavor and color to your favorite dishes. It’s excellent with fish, vegetables, rice, and other foods. Add some coconut oil to your cooking along with turmeric to get additional benefits.
An extra tip when eating turmeric is to add it with black ground pepper. It seems weird that another spice could help turmeric absorption but it’s true. Black pepper can increase the bioavailability (rate of absorption) of turmeric by over 1000 times.
What Can I Use Turmeric In?
You can use turmeric in so many ways as a spice to flavor dishes or even as a garnish:
- Add it to scrambles and frittatas. Use a pinch of turmeric in scrambled eggs, a frittata, or tofu scramble
- Toss it with roasted vegetables.
- Add it to rice
- Try it with greens
- Use it in soups
- Blend it into a smoothie. Like a Tropical Turmeric Smoothie (recipe below)
- Make tea
What Flavors Go Well with Turmeric?
In terms of flavor pairing, it will largely depend on your own tastes but here are some popular spices to marry with turmeric. You can even try some of these in the Turmeric Smoothie:
- Black pepper
- Mustard seed
- Fennel Seed
- Chili Powder
How to Make This Turmeric Smoothie – Step by Step
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Puree for a minute or two.
Tips for Making This Tropical Turmeric Smoothie Recipe
- Try and buy your ingredients organic when you can, but I’ll tell you a secret… I use frozen organic mango, pineapple, oranges, and bananas so that I ALWAYS have the ingredients for my smoothie.
- One of the best things about smoothies is that you can experiment as much as you want. As long as you add turmeric to the recipe, you’ll be boosting the health benefits of your smoothie and creating a strong, and healthy foundation for your body and home!
- So use turmeric as your starting point and experiment on.
More Recipes You Might Like
- Green Monster Smoothie & Meal Replacement Smoothie
- Magnesium Boosting Smoothie Recipe
- Almond Butter Banana Protein Smoothie
Did you try this Hawaiian ahi tuna poke bowl recipe? Don’t forget to rate the recipe and comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.
Tropical Turmeric Smoothie
- Tall glass
- 1 cup organic coconut milk
- 1 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic frozen mango pineapple or oranges
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp raw honey
- 1 tsp freshly grated turmeric or 1/2 tsp organic turmeric powder
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Puree for a 1-2 minutes until all ingredients are blended together.
- Pour and serve in a tall glass.
Photo credit: DepositPhotos.com / vanillaechoes, Piccia
FREE real food guide
Eat healthier in just 7 days with my real food guide and email course. You'll learn how easy it is to go gluten-free and still enjoy the foods that you love.
Megan Ellam says
I am a massive fan of turmeric. Thanks for all the great inspiration.
I love using turmeric and found this article really helpful, especially with the cold and flu season coming up. The smoothie sounds delicious!
What a wonderful and interesting article, I am such a fan of turmeric!
Haven’t used a lot of turmeric before but now definitely I will try using it more