There are so many benefits and ways to use jojoba oil for skin and hair. Rich in vitamins, minerals and fatty acids, it is a hero product that needs to be part of your natural skin care routine.
What is Jojoba Oil?
Jojoba (pronounced ho-ho-ba) oil is a wonderfully versatile plant. It is derived from the seeds of a shrub belonging to the family Simmondsiaceae. The plant is also known as jojoba pignut, deer nut, goat nut and wild hazel. It can be found in certain regions of Mexico as well as the United States.
Jojoba is actually a wax, that’s very similar to the oil (known as sebum) your skin produces. This means similar to coconut oil, jojoba oil has many benefits and uses proving it is a must have product that will save you time and money. Not to mention saving your skin and hair from harsh chemicals.
Why Use it Jojoba Oil for Skin and Hair?
Jojoba oil is rich in essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients that benefit your skin and hair. These include:
- Vitamin E – helps to nourish and hydrate the hair and skin
- Vitamin B – helps to retain and lock moisture in the skin or hair
- Zinc – offers powerful anti-inflammatory properties which is great for acne, rosacea & eczemas
- Copper – works as an antioxidant that promotes collagen and elastin production. This makes it great for softening the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Selenium – helps to protect cells against UV damage and pigmentation.
- Chromium – helps to strengthen hair and prevent fall out
- Iodine – possesses powerful anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Jojoba Oil Benefits
There are so many Jojoba oil benefits that make this ingredient a must have as part of your daily routine. It helps to both nourish and protect your skin, lips, hair and even nails. Benefits include:
- Rich in Vitamin A,E & D plus antioxidants and fatty acids
- Actually a wax ester with similar properties to skin sebum this means it can penetrate deeply for maximum nourishing benefits
- Naturally antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory
- Can be used by any skin type including dry, acne-prone and sensitive
10 Ways to Use Jojoba Oil for Skin + Hair
1. Use as a Moisturizer
Thanks to the waxy nature of jojoba oil, it is the perfect natural moisturizer. This is because similar to sebum it forms a protective layer on top of the skin. This layer helps to retain moisture and keep your skin hydrated. This is why it’s the perfect choice for homemade body butter, especially when you are fresh out of the bath or shower.
As it helps to seal in moisture, it is important to use it as the final step in your natural skincare routine. You can either add it to your current moisturizer or make this DIY facial oil moisturizer using jojoba as the carrier oil.
2. Natural Makeup Remover
Store bought makeup removers are often expensive and packed with toxins than can strip our skin of their natural oils. So why not use jojoba oil instead? Oil helps to dissolve oil and is actually more efficient at removing makeup residue than soap and water. Jojoba oil binds to makeup, sunscreen and even waterproof mascara, helping them wipe off with ease.
You could either use it directly by adding a few drops to a cotton pad and wipe away or make this DIY make up remover using jojoba oil. You could also massage the oil onto damp skin as a pre-cleanse. As it contains fatty acids and skin-nourishing vitamins including vitamins E, A, and D your skin will be left clean, nourished, and glowing.
3. Rescue Dry Lips
Some lip balms contain ingredients that may provide an immediate soothing sensation but eventually cause more irritation. These ingredients include menthol, camphor, phenol, and alcohol. Lip balms with these ingredients have even been known to remove the outer layers of skin, exposing your lips to harsh UV rays as well as bitter Winter conditions.
The fatty acids present in jojoba oil, however, soften and protect the outer layer of the skin. This makes it particularly effective in rescuing dry lips. The waxy consistency is ideal for using in a homemade lip balm as it provides many hydrating benefits. By massaging in a few drops of it into your lips daily, you will quickly notice a difference.
4. Pamper your Nails
Do you struggle with dry and damaged nails? Jojoba oil is your hero thanks to its molecules that can penetrate deep into the nail plate. The high levels of vitamins E and B also help to hydrate resulting in healthy, moisturized nails. These vitamins are also renowned for supporting collagen renewal as well as boasting antibacterial and antifungal properties. This means jojoba oil can support strong cuticles and nails and may add extra protection against nail infections.
5. Clear Acne-Prone Skin
Those with acne or breakout-prone skin commonly use treatments and cleansers that are not pH balanced. These products then strip the skin of its natural sebum which encourages our skin to go into overdrive to create more. An overproduction of sebum is what causes acne in the first place, so it’s evident these products cause more harm than good.
A natural way to break this vicious cycle is by using jojoba oil. It is one of the best carrier oils for clear skin as it mimics sebum so essentially tells your glands not to make more. This helps to prevent clogged pores as well as minimize the appearance of pores. Alongside, it acts as an antioxidant, protecting the skin from pollution which again, can contribute to blemishes, and it has anti-bacterial properties to help keep blemishes under control.
You can apply it directly onto the skin, or alternatively use it in this DIY face wash or homemade body wash instead of store bought.
6. Help Fade Old Acne Spots and Scars
In addition to help clearing acne-prone skin, jojoba oil can help fade acne scars. The vitamin E in jojoba oil helps to boost the healing process to lighten skin. Use 1-2 times daily until acne spots and scars are gone. You can continue to use it daily even after those old acne scars are gone. Add a 1-2 drops of Frankincense essential oil with your daily jojoba oil routine to help boost the fading process.
7. Delay Signs of Aging
Instead of throwing away money on anti wrinkle serums that are packed with artificial fragrances and toxins, switch to jojoba oil. As it is naturally rich in vitamin E, it can support the skin’s defense against free radicals that are infamous for causing premature aging and skin damage.
Jojoba oil also contains amino acids which are considered “collagen builders” and a key ingredient for reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Collagen has many benefits including improvements in skin tone, texture and elasticity.
8. Use as a Hair Mask
One of the best ways to use jojoba oil is as a hydrating hair mask. If your hair is dry or damaged, the cuticles that make the outer layer rise. This can result in hair loss, frizz and irritation.
Jojoba oil can help to smooth the cuticle, which then creates a strong, protective layer on the hair shaft. This means your hair will feel noticeably more hydrated and conditioned. The multiple vitamins also help to prevent split ends making jojoba oil an ideal choice as a natural hot oil mask pre-wash or add to your current conditioner as treatment post-wash.
Alongside the hair on your head, one of the best ways to use jojoba oil is in a DIY beard oil. As well as the benefits mentioned, it helps to calm frizz, and prevent ingrown hairs, dandruff and frizz.
9. Encourage Hair Growth
Another great jojoba oil use is to promote hair growth. Thanks to the vitamins C, B and E as well as copper and zinc jojoba oil helps to moisturize hair follicles. This is key for blood circulation which ensures your roots receive sufficient minerals for strong, thick locks.
To use, I recommend warming the jojoba oil beforehand as this will make it easier to apply to the hair. Apply starting from the scalp, working your way down to the ends. Leave for around 20 minutes before continuing with your usual wash routine.
10. Fight Dandruff
Dandruff is caused by a fungus similar to yeast called malassezia, which is why the antibacterial and anti-fungal properties of jojoba oil help to keep the scalp clean and calm. For best results, apply the oil to your scalp before bed and wash off during your morning shower. Your scalp will feel moisturized which in turn helps to reduce hair loss and breakage as well as fight dandruff.
How to Choose the Best Jojoba Oil
Although there are many ways to use jojoba oil, they will only be effective if you choose the best kind. There are a few tips to help you choose the kind that will maximize the benefits for your skin and hair, these include:
- Purity – Make sure it is 100% pure, organic, cold-pressed and unrefined. If it isn’t, the jojoba oil may contain preservatives that can irritate the skin particularly if you struggle with dry skin or eczema.
- Ingredients – Double-check the ingredients list. Jojoba oil should be listed as the main ingredient otherwise your skin and hair may not reap the rewards.
- Color – Another way to check you are purchasing high quality jojoba is the color. The oil is usually a yellow/gold color similar to straw.
- Absorption – A final tell tale sign it is poor quality is if it sits on top of the skin. It is renowned for being a fast absorbing oil, so if doesn’t melt into your skin easily you may have bought a lower quality.
More Posts You Might Like
- 100+ DIY Beauty + Skin Care Recipes
- pumpkin seed oil benefits for skin and hair
- 14 Health Benefits of Infrared Saunas
- 7 health benefits of weighted blankets
Did you know there were this many ways to use jojoba oil? Comment below to let me know which is your favorite. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
Want More DIY Recipes?
Check out my book Natural Beauty Made Simple. It comes with 45 homemade skincare recipes with a set of printable labels and gift tags. You can download it instantly to your phone, computer or e-reader, so it’s portable and can go with you anywhere!
- Make your own organic beauty and skin care products for less than $25 a month!
- Learn simple techniques to make your own skincare – without the fuss of complicated recipes or hard-to-find ingredients
- Get tried-and-true recipes that work to nourish the skin and make it look more radiant than ever before
- Create beautiful gifts for friends and family with the printable labels and gift tags I’ve included with this book
Take a peek at what’s inside Natural Beauty Made Simple.
Leave a Reply