These 10 DIY Winter Air Freshener Sprays will fill your home with festive fragrance all year round. With essential oil blends that capture your favorite scents of the season, these homemade air freshener sprays toxin-free and smell sensational.
Store Bought vs. Natural Air Freshener Sprays
You may think making your own natural air freshener spray is so much more work than grabbing one at the store. However, despite the convenience of store-bought, the products themselves can potentially be causing more harm than good.
There are concerns that store-bought air fresheners increase indoor air pollution which is threatening to your health, especially if you use these products every day. Air fresheners release VOCs into the air (volatile organic compounds) these are essentially chemicals that turn into vapor or gas at room temperature. These VOCs are then inhaled exposing your family to irritation, illness and respiratory issues.
Furthermore, while store-bought air freshener sprays promise incredible scents, they don’t actually deodorize the air. Instead, these fragrances mask any odors in your home with powerful chemicals including:
- Formaldehyde – a known carcinogen
- Synthetic fragrances – that can cause allergies, asthma and other respiratory illnesses
- Phthalates – which are linked to hormone disruption and male reproductive system birth defects.1
By switching to any one of these simple natural DIY Winter air freshener sprays, you will avoid exposing your family to these chemicals all while making your home smell beautiful.
Not to mention, with homemade air freshener you will also save time and money as you can make new sprays and combinations whenever you need. Simply mix and match these Winter essential oil blends using whatever oils you have to hand and skip that expensive trip to the store.
About The Ingredients
Before you can get creative with the Winter air freshener spray combinations, let’s get the basics right. As a base for any DIY air freshener spray you only need three ingredients:
- Water – You can use water straight from the tap or use distilled. Distilled water will increase the shelf life of this DIY air freshener. As an alternative, you can substitute with boiled and cooled filtered tap water if you do not have distilled water.
- Witch Hazel – Witch hazel plays two important roles: firstly, it helps the essential oils combine with the water. Secondly, it helps the spray disperse into the air making the scent last longer. As a substitute for witch hazel you could also use rubbing alcohol or vodka.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils are also vital for two reasons; the most obvious being they provide an incredible scent. However, the second reason is that they actually help to cleanse the air. I have included 10 Winter air freshener combinations below, but feel free to get creative depending on the occasion and the oils you have to hand.
You will also need a reusable spray bottle. I recommend a 16oz bottle as they can be reused for the majority of my natural cleaning products such as my DIY degreaser spray and my DIY disinfectant spray.
DIY Air Freshener Spray Basic Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- Essential oils (see recipes below)
- 1 reusable spray bottle
- Using a funnel, start by filling the spray bottle with water. Then add the witch hazel.
- Add the essential oils and screw on the spray nozzle.
- Shake the bottle well to combine, then it’s ready to use.
You may notice the essential oils will float on top of the water, so shake well before each use. You may also notice, the scent from this homemade air freshener won’t linger for as long as store bought. This is because it doesn’t contain preservatives or artificial scents. You may need to use the spray more frequently, but it will mean you avoid exposing your family to harmful toxins.
10 DIY Winter Air Freshener Sprays
These Winter inspired essential oil blends are ideal for adding to your homemade air freshener. Feel free to get creative depending on your mood or the room you use it in. For example, Winter Wonderland is refreshing and sweet perfect for a living area, whereas as Winter Chai offers a spiced yet comforting scent perfect for cozy vibes in the bedroom.
Candy Cane Lane
This classic combination of vanilla and peppermint smells good enough to eat. Spraying this around your home will definitely get you on the nice list.
- 6 drops Vanilla
- 5 drops Peppermint
The refreshing combination of Wintergreen and peppermint is ideal for bathrooms or any area you want to smell fresh, clean and inviting.
- 4 drops Wintergreen
- 4 drops Peppermint
- 3 drops Rosemary
Who doesn’t cherish the memories of picking the Christmas tree then the aroma of fresh pine would fill your home? Yet no one cherishes the hassle of vacuuming pine needles for weeks after so this tree farm blend will ignite that nostalgia without the pine needle piles all over your floor.
- 5 drops Pine
- 3 drops Blue Spruce
- 3 drops Black Spruce
Inspired by the ultimate hug in a mug, vanilla chai latte, this Winter Chai blend includes the comforting scents of cinnamon, vanilla and cardamom perfect for making a room smell cozy and inviting.
Sugar & Spice
“Sugar & spice makes your home smell so nice” isn’t that the famous saying? This blend includes four festive faves including orange, pine and vanilla for a Winter air freshener spray that you’ll want use all year round.
The perfect Winter blend to spray around the home before entertaining guests. It’s the perfect combination of citrus and spice to awaken the senses.
While Winter is not the time to head under canvas, you can still capture that nostalgic campfire smell. The blend of cedarwood, pine and cinnamon is comforting yet invigorating – the perfect way to invite the outdoors inside without the temperature drop.
Another beautiful blend for bathrooms, frosted trees smells fresh and clean. It’s the perfect sneaky solution when last minute guests show up and you haven’t had time to clean. A few speedy sprays will revive your home and fool any guests that you’ve spent hours scrubbing.
- 5 drops Pine
- 3 drops Peppermint
- 3 drops Wintergreen
The irresistible combination of vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg replicates that Christmas cookies fresh-out-the-oven vibes. Instant childhood memories unlocked.
When those dark cold Winter mornings leave you unmotivated, a few sprays of Winter breeze is the perfect pick me up. It will invigorate your senses thanks to eucalyptus, rosemary and peppermint helping you to tackle your to do list with ease.
- 4 drops Eucalyptus
- 4 drops Peppermint
- 3 drop Rosemary
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More Posts You Might Like
Did you try these DIY Winter air freshener sprays? Comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
7-Day Decluttering Challenge
Looking for more ways to declutter your home? Join my FREE 7-Day Decluttering Challenge! You’ll get a free printable workbook you can use to declutter for good.
I’ll go more in-depth on how to declutter every room in your home, including bedrooms, living and family rooms, closets, and bathrooms.
I’ll also show you how to deal with the emotions that often come up when you’re decluttering and simple strategies you can use to overcome them.
1.Your Best Air Freshener Isn’t An Air Freshener, Environmental Working Group
Leave a Reply