Celebrate the scents of Fall all year round with these 10 DIY fall air freshener sprays. Simply add these essential oil blends to water and witch hazel for a homemade air freshener that’s powerful yet natural.
Store Bought vs. Natural Air Freshener Sprays
Have you ever been disappointed with an air freshener that promised to smell amazing, yet it never lived up to the hype? Me too. The cleaning aisle is bursting with ways to make our homes smell better, but do they actually work? More importantly, are they causing more harm than good?
Firstly, store-bought air fresheners don’t actually deodorize the air, they just mask the smell with toxic chemicals including formaldehyde (a known carcinogen), synthetic fragrances (that can cause allergies, asthma and other respiratory illnesses), and phthalates (which are linked to hormone disruption and male reproductive system birth defects).1
Regardless of whether it’s a plug-in or aerosol air freshener, these products are polluting your family home instead of purifying and cleaning the air. By switching to this simple, toxin-free DIY air freshener spray, you will avoid exposing your family to these chemicals all while helping your home smell incredible.
Best of all, switching to a homemade air freshener will save you time and money. You can make new sprays and combinations whenever you wish thanks to these 10 DIY Fall air freshener spray combinations. Simply mix and match depending on the essential oils you have available all while avoiding an expensive trip to the store.
About the Ingredients
Before you get experimenting with the fall air freshener spray combinations, let’s get the basics right. As a base for any DIY air freshener spray you simply need three ingredients:
- Water – You can simply use tap water but distilled water will increase the shelf life of this DIY air freshener. You can substitute with boiled and cooled filtered tap water if you do not have distilled water
- Witch Hazel – Witch hazel is essential for two reasons: It helps the essential oils combine with the water and helps the spray disperse into the air making the scent last longer. Instead of witch hazel, you could also use rubbing alcohol or vodka.
- Essential Oils – Essential oils also serve two purposes: firstly for their amazing scent but secondly, they actually help cleanse the air. I have included 10 Fall Air freshener combinations below, but feel free to get creative depending on the season.
You will also need a reusable spray bottle. I prefer a 16oz bottle as I use these for the majority of my natural cleaning products such as my DIY degreaser spray and my DIY disinfectant spray.
DIY Air Freshener Room Spray Basic Recipe
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- Essential oils (see recipes below)
- 1 reusable spray bottle
- Fill the spray bottle with water and witch hazel. A funnel will help to do this more efficiently.
- Add essential oils and cover with spray nozzle.
- Shake the bottle for a few seconds before each use.
The essential oils will float on top of the water, so make sure to shake well before using your DIY fall air freshener spray. It’s also worth noting that the scent from homemade air freshener won’t last as long as store-bought so you may need to spray them more frequently, but it will mean you avoid inhaling harmful toxins.
10 DIY Fall Air Freshener Sprays
These essential oil blends are ideal for adding to your DIY air freshener spray as you can customize them depending on your mood and the time of day. For example, you might prefer a stimulating scent in the morning to invigorate the senses such as Autumn fresh, but then use a less confronting blend like Vanilla Chai if you have house guests coming over for a relaxing evening. You can also complement these air freshener sprays with my fall diffuser blends.
Fall Potpourri Spice
Inspired by my Instant pot Fall Pot Pourri, this air freshener will fill your home with the ultimate Autumnal aroma.
With citrus notes and soothing lavender, this combination is refreshing yet comforting.
Pumpkin Spice Latte
A guaranteed fall favorite, if you haven’t had enough pumpkin spice yet this season why not add some to your DIY air freshener too.
Inspired by the ultimate hug in a mug, vanilla chai latte, the comforting scents of cinnamon, vanilla and cardamom instantly make you want to escape the cold and snuggle up.
Hot Apple Cider
This delicious combination smells good enough to eat. It’s both refreshing and inviting, the perfect air freshener blend for Thanksgiving before your guests arrive.
This combination is definitely a treat for the senses. Wintergreen offers an invigorating minty aroma that contrasts perfectly with the warming spice of cinnamon and clove.
- 5 drops Wintergreen
- 3 drops Cinnamon
- 2 drops Clove
With notes of eucalyptus, lemon and rosemary this combination is great for opening your sinuses especially during this sniffly season. The complementing scents of cinnamon and clove provide balance that help mimic the nostalgic scent of crisp, sweet fall leaves.
- 3 drops Cinnamon
- 2 drops Clove
- 2 drops Eucalyptus
- 2 drops Lemon
- 1 drop Rosemary
Refreshingly simple, this combination will work wonders at freshening up bathrooms or teenage bedrooms in seconds.
- 5 drops Eucalyptus
- 5 drops Peppermint
Walk in the Woods
Who says coniferous scents should only be used at Christmas? Fall is the ideal time to introduce the smell of pine to your home. Paired with bergamot and lavender this DIY air freshener spray will transport you straight outside without leaving your cozy armchair.
This combination of citrus, cinnamon and spruce will permeate the room and immediately put you in the seasonal mood.
How to Get Started with Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE essential oil email course in order to learn the basics.
- Check out my FREE masterclass all about essential oils and this beginner’s guide to essential oils.
- Get my essential oils online course – complete with video tutorials, e-book and everything you need to get started with essential oils.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, and get a starter kit for 60% off retail prices. It’s the best deal around and a great way to get started with essential oils. Plus lots of freebies just for you.
More Posts You Might Like
Did you try these DIY fall air freshener sprays? Comment below to let me know how it went. You can also FOLLOW ME on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest to see what other fun things I’m getting up to.
1.Your Best Air Freshener Isn’t An Air Freshener, Environmental Working Group
Leave a Reply