With three kids, I feel like I’m ALWAYS doing laundry. And I have three boys too, so you’d think I have fewer wardrobe changes than girls but I think it’s just the opposite. Someone is always getting dirty or spilled something, so my laundry basket is perpetually full.
I’ve gone green with my laundry for a few years now. We have a front-loading energy-efficient washing machine, which I love because it cuts down on water usage significantly. I always use just a scoop or two of my DIY All-Natural Laundry Detergent.
While it’s tempting to use more, it’s important not to do it. Too much detergent can create excess suds – that doesn’t make your clothes cleaner, it actually creates more problems.
Are You Using Too Much Laundry Detergent?
Here are 7 reasons why you should avoid using too much laundry detergent:
- It leaves a stain or residue on clothes.
- The odor in many washing machines is caused by excess residue trapped in the washer.
- Loads may not have a change to drain properly – causing clothes to be more wet and take more time to dry.
- Leaking, particularly in front load washers, can occur.
- It may take more energy to wash clothes as the washer automatically adds extra rinses and pauses to break down the excess suds.
- The water savings you think you’re getting is literally going down the drain due to the extra rinse cycle needed to rinse out the extra suds.
- There’s could be increased wear and tear on the washing machine’s pump and motor because the suds act like a brake, and the washing machine works overtime all the time.
So when it’s time to do laundry, be sure to use the amount of detergent – whether it’s a scoop or two of a DIY detergent or what’s indicated on the bottle of a store-bought detergent.
Photo credit: Bigstockphotos.com / AndreyPopovThis post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Get a copy of my e-book 10 Beauty Hacks from Your Kitchen + my essential oils email course for FREE!
In my email course, you'll learn the basics of essential oils, how to use them, and easy DIY recipes you can make to save money!