When it’s a cold day, I crave soup. I especially crave this Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s so delicious, yet comforting on a cold day. Actually, who am I kidding, I could eat this any day of the week.
The secret to this recipe is the bone broth, which provides beneficial protein, amino acids and so many other nutrients. I also use real food ingredients like onions, garlic, tomatoes and organic seasonings knock this dish out of the park. It rivals anything you’ll find in a restaurant, but without the junk or preservatives (like MSG.
Check the recipe notes as I’ve got an option to make this dish in the Instant Pot and even a fast-cook option with rotisserie chicken to cut down the cooking time.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other baking supplies like baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract, etc. either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Organic vanilla extract, for instance, is about $5 at my local health food store and $5.30 on Amazon. But it’s only $3.95 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get 2 months free and 10% off your first order.
Quick Cook Option: You can all ingredients to a large sauce pan and substitute the raw chicken for cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works well) and heat for about 20 minutes.
Instant Pot Option: You could also make this in the Instant Pot. Follow steps 1-5 except place in the Instant Pot rather than the slow cooker. Press the “poultry” button and add 3 minutes to cook the chicken for a total of about 20 minutes. Release pressure and let sit for a couple of minutes.
- 1 tbsp organic, grass-fed ghee or lard
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1-2 celery stalk, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups homemade bone broth
- 1/2 lb organic chicken breast (uncooked)
- 1 cup organic stewed tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp organic cumin
- 1/2 tsp organic paprika
- Celtic sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup organic cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 avocado, pitted, cubed
- Tortilla chips for garnish
- In a large sauce pan, add ghee or olive oil, onion, carrot and celery. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until soft. Add to slow cooker.
- Add tomatoes, celery and carrot to blender and pulse until well pureed. Add to slow cooker.
- Add cumin, salt, pepper to slow cooker.
- Add bone broth or chicken stock to slow cooker.
- Season chicken breast with salt and pepper and add to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for about 4-5 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts to shred, and then return to slow cooker.
- Serve in bowls and garnish with cheese, cilantro, avocado and tortilla chips.
I have a video tutorial on how to make this recipe, as well as some tips on how to cut down time with my favorite kitchen hacks.
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.disclosure.