It’s the middle of July, and I’m happy to say that I’m enjoying my first week here on Oahu. Just yesterday we celebrated my husband’s birthday. He got to surf at his old hangout at Diamond Head beach, and we dined at Alan Wong’s – a fantastic Asian-fusion restaurant that Barak Obama personally hires anytime he’s here on Oahu. They are extremely allergen friendly – there were so many things on the menu my husband could eat like steak, seafood and even an ahi sushi appetizer (they made it without soy).
Traveling can be so hard when you have allergies, so other than our splurge at Alan Wong’s we’ve been eating most of our meals at home. If you’re living with allergies (or just want to eat real food) like us, check out these summer recipes. They all feature real food ingredients (not processed) and many are either paleo or gluten free.
- Start the day with a yummy Gluten-Free Buttermilk Pancake Mix. I made these and my kids literally were eating them as I took them out of the pan – they couldn’t even wait until I plated them at the dinner table. I like to add bacon to it but they are just as delicious with blueberries or bananas stirred into the batter. My kids beg for this pancake mix even for dinner.
- What could be more refreshing than Watermelon Lemonade during the summer? The Sprouting Seed has a super easy recipe.
- My kids love graham crackers but I’m trying to avoid giving them gluten. I love this Grain-Free Graham Crackers recipe from Homemade Mommy.
- Another year-round favorite in our family is pizza. But I try to do a paleo pizza crust for my husband as much as possible. Sometimes almond flour can be too dense. This Cauliflower Crust Pizza from Loula Natural is gluten free, dairy free and grain free.
- Quinoa is the perfect ingredient to add to a salad to make it hearty and grainy (but without the grains because it’s technically a seed). Freshly Grown has a yummy Red Pepper, Corn and Basil Quinoa Salad you need to try.
- For something lighter, try this Carrot Apple Ginger Soup (vegan, dairy free, gluten free, sugar free) by A Harmony Healing.
- And for a light dessert, here’s a delicious Homemade Peaches and Cream Ice Cream recipe from The Savory Lotus.
What are your favorite real food recipes for the summer?
Image credit: kenishirotie / 123RF Stock PhotoPAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.