Learn how to cook gluten free foods without artificial ingredients. Check out my book Gluten Free, Real Food Recipes for Kids. It's on sale now for 50% off. Download a free preview.
Each month, I round-up my favorite real food links for Real Food Rules. These aren’t rules or guidelines to live by. Rather they’re the best real food recipes, natural remedies and health and nutrition tips that I’ve gathered for you. Real food is the best for you and your family – it rules!
- This homemade citrus electrolyte drink recipe is an ideal natural cold remedy, natural stomach flu remedy and natural sports drink for kids.
- Strawberries are my favorite fruit – and by no coincidence my favorite ingredient for smoothies. Green Thickies has a recipe for an easy, yet decadent gluten-free Strawberry Shortcake Smoothie that tastes like dessert.
- My younger sons LOVE kefir. They drink it all day instead of regular milk, and it’s hard to argue. Kefir is delicious and packed full of probiotics. But store-bought brands are often high and sugar and expensive (in Hawaii I paid upwards of $8 for just a quart). Homemade kefir like this one from Creative Simple Life is so much better – you know EXACTLY what goes into it – and it’s cheaper to make.
- Love blueberries? Then check out this recipe from Homemade Dutch Apple Pie for soaked gluten-free blueberry pie bars.
- I use vanilla extract pretty much every time I bake. It’s amazing how fast I go through a bottle. But I had no idea how easy it is to make my own homemade vanilla extract (with or without alcohol) like this recipe from Small Footprint Family.
- Butter – need I say more. We got through a pound of butter each week in my house. I find myself licking the spoon after I use a dollap of butter on my gluten-free toast. I love this homemade butter recipe from Rethink Simple because it uses pastured (or raw) heavy cream and you burn calories just making it.
- Need a dish for dinner? I’ve got a super easy garlic lemon shrimp recipe that’s so delicious even the kids will gobble it up.
Nutrition and Health Tips
- So what’s the deal with pastured foods? The Rising Spoon a lot of great information about why you should only be eating pastured eggs and how to decode egg carton labels.
- Real Food Forager has a fantastic post on why she gave up peanut butter. We used to eat a lot of peanut butter but we’ve tapered down to very occasional use in my house – opting for almond butter instead.
- Do you use protein powder? You might think twice after this informative post by The Savory Lotus.
- Do you have cold intolerance, fatigue, headaches, dizziness or a slow heart beat? You might have hypothyroidism. Find out more from The Health Extremist.
- I loved this article from Oh Lardy about baby cereal. She advocates against feeding cereal to babies. Find out why.
- Have you ever heard of bentonite clay? It can be used as a facial mask as well as a natural detox. My husband used it when he did a candida detox after he was first diagnosed with a leaky gut over a year ago. Growing Up Herbal has 15 ways you can use bentonite clay.
- Making your own bar soap is easier than you think. Shalom Mama has an easy-to-follow recipe to make a homemade herbal soap bar.
- Need to relax before bed? Check out this calming lavender bedtime linen spray from Real Food RN.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.