Ah, fish tacos. Living in San Diego has made me spoiled on fish tacos. I love going to Rubio’s to get beer-battered fish tacos, but at over 1,000 calories per meal I rarely get it… unless I’m pregnant. Then I go crazy because, you know, the baby wants it.
But I digress.
I’ve been cooking so much more lately since my husband has gone Paleo. And I just came up with this super-easy spicy fish taco recipe that even my kids enjoy – though I turn down the heat on their fish a bit and serve it up with tortilla chips.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other kitchen pantry supplies like sea salt, black pepper, spices, coconut oil, and other essentials either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Bob’s Red Mill baking soda, for instance, is about $3 at my local health food store and $6 on Amazon. But it’s only $2.03 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get 2 months free and 10% off your first order.
- 2-3 six-inch size filets of wild-caught sole or cod
- 2 tbsp organic extra-virgin coconut oil or lard
- 6-10 whole leaves of organic romaine lettuce
- 1/2 tsp organic garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp Celtic salt
- 1/4 tsp organic paprika
- 1/4 tsp organic cayenne pepper (omit this for kids)
- 1/4 tsp organic white pepper
- 1/2 to 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1 organic avocado
- Fresh salsa
- Heat a large skillet pan to medium heat. Add oil or lard.
- Combine all the dry spices in a bowl. Sprinkle spice mixture on both sides of fish, then place fish in the pan.
- Cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, until browned and cooked evenly. Set aside.
- Cut open avocado and slice into cubes.
- Place 2-3 romaine lettuce leaves on plates. Top with fish, then add avocado, cheese and salsa.
Sign up to get a FREE copy of my e-book, The Essential Home: Quick Start Guide to DIY - available exclusively to subscribers.
You'll also get weekly updates with the latest DIY tutorials, natural health tips, and real food recipes.