For the last week my kids (ages 4 and 6) have been using the online reading program ReadingEggs.com. It’s fantastic!
We’ve tried Starfall and other paid online programs, and hands down we all like Reading Eggs best. Here are a few reasons why:
- Before even starting, each of my kids took a reading test to assess where in the program they needed to start. My 4 year old isn’t reading yet but the test assessed his awareness of letters and phonics. He started on level 1. My 6 year old is reading and started on level 4.
- Each of my boys had a customized reading map. Each map (or level) has about 10 interactive lessons. I think they felt like they were playing a video game because it was so engaging but they were really reading.
- Points! Each of my boys earned golden egg points each time they completed a lesson. I don’t know what it is with boys and points. They get nothing else but they just love to rack up those points.
- Lessons are self paced. My boys can do 5 lessons at a time or just half a lesson. They just needed to exit wherever they left off and Reading Eggs would save their place.
- Printable lessons are available too to reinforce what the boys learned online. For instance, my 4 year old is still learning letters and phonics awareness. So the printable worksheets were focused on handwriting practice for the same letters he was learning.
- All online so it’s portable on vacation, which we’re gearing up for in the next couple of months.
Best of all, there’s a free trial. Normally it’s a 14-day trial, but I’ve got the code for a 5 week trial! Just go to ReadingEggs.com to sign up and use promo code USS28MOM.
This review is completely mine. I didn’t even have contact with the company. I heard about the free trial and tried it out on my own. I really love it, and wish they had a math equivalent.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers, including Amazon and other affiliate partners.