This time of year, it’s easy to spot bottles of hand cleaners or wipes everywhere you go – the grocery store, the doctor’s office, even at indoor gyms and playgrounds.
While it’s commendable to keep hands clean, conventional hand cleaners have a lot of toxic chemicals (such ethanol-based alcohol, fragrances, propylene glycol, tocopheryl acetate, etc.) in them to clean hands. Think about putting that on your child’s hand.
Or worse yet, think about when a small child licks his hand and inadvertently ingests the chemicals in those hand cleaners. There have been a number of kids who are admitted to emergency rooms due to poisoning from hand cleaners. That’s some scary stuff.
But there is a way to naturally clean hands without the harsh, toxic chemicals with essential oils. I make this homemade hand cleaner to use on the go. I love to use Lavender and Tea Tree essential oils to make my own homemade hand cleaner. I use this spray to clean hands – as well as surfaces like public toilet seats, door handles, and even restaurant tables. I keep it in my purse to use as needed. And when I’m at home I use my DIY foaming hand soap recipe to naturally clean hands.
- Small glass spray bottle (I like this one – it’s just 5 ml and small enough to carry in a purse or backpack)
- 4-6 drops of essential oil (I like Lavender and Tea Tree - where to buy)
- Distilled or filtered water
- Add 4-6 drops of essential oil to a small spray bottle (about 5-10 ml). Adjust accordingly depending on the size of the spray bottle.
- Fill with water and use as needed. I typically use within a week. If you need to store for longer, add a couple of drops of witch hazel.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Sign up to get a FREE copy of my e-book, The Essential Home: Quick Start Guide to DIY - available exclusively to subscribers.
You'll also get weekly updates with the latest DIY tutorials, natural health tips, and real food recipes.