This time of year, it’s easy to spot bottles of hand cleaners or wipes everywhere you go – the grocery store, the doctor’s office, even at indoor gyms and playgrounds.
While it’s commendable to keep hands clean, conventional hand cleaners have a lot of toxic chemicals (such ethanol-based alcohol, fragrances, propylene glycol, tocopheryl acetate, etc.) in them to clean hands. Think about putting that on your child’s hand.
Or worse yet, think about when a small child licks his hand and inadvertently ingests the chemicals in those hand cleaners. There have been a number of kids who are admitted to emergency rooms due to poisoning from hand cleaners. That’s some scary stuff.
But there is a way to naturally clean hands without the harsh, toxic chemicals with essential oils. I make this homemade hand cleaner to use on the go. I love to use Lavender and Tea Tree essential oils to make my own homemade hand cleaner. I use this spray to clean hands – as well as surfaces like public toilet seats, door handles, and even restaurant tables. I keep it in my purse to use as needed. And when I’m at home I use my DIY foaming hand soap recipe to naturally clean hands.
- Small glass spray bottle (I like this one – it’s just 5 ml and small enough to carry in a purse or backpack)
- 4-6 drops of essential oil (I like Lavender and Tea Tree - where to buy)
- Distilled or filtered water
- Add 4-6 drops of essential oil to a small spray bottle (about 5-10 ml). Adjust accordingly depending on the size of the spray bottle.
- Fill with water and use as needed. I typically use within a week. If you need to store for longer, add a couple of drops of witch hazel.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Get a copy of my e-book 10 Beauty Hacks from Your Kitchen + my essential oils email course for FREE!
In my email course, you'll learn the basics of essential oils, how to use them, and easy DIY recipes you can make to save money!