I’ve got two big announcements this week. I have to wait until tomorrow to announce one of them. But I can share the second big announcement… I’m taking my family on a two-month trip to Hawaii! No work for either me or my husband, and I’m taking the boys out of school.
Why? There are too many reasons, but here’s a few:
- My lifelong dream is to take a sabbatical to travel around the world with my family and homeschool them on the road. My kids (ages 3 months, 4, 7) are too young for that. So I’m doing a mini version now. I’ll need a few years to save up for the dream.
- I want to try homeschooling. I’ve always been interested in it – I love the flexibility it offers children. So this is my trial. Plus, I love the idea of unschooling and following the interests of kids. I think they’re going to be genuinely interested in Hawaiian culture and the oceans and marine life – so why not offer them first-hand experience instead of learning it in books.
- I’m on maternity leave until March. Normally, my husband would take his paternity leave after me. But we figured when are we ever going to have the opportunity to take time off together. So we’re going for it.
- My boys are still young. My oldest son is in 1st grade, and my youngest is in preschool. Taking them out of school now isn’t a big deal. When we talked to my 1st grader’s teachers, they were elated for him. They thought this would be an awesome opportunity for him. And they weren’t too concerned about him missing work. They’ll just give us some reading and phonics assignments to take with us.
- My boys are growing up fast. I want this opportunity to spend as much time with them as I can while they’re young (and of course as they get older). Having a newborn has made me realize how quickly kids grow up. I’m still in shock I have a 7 year old.
- I want to enjoy time with my husband, and not have to worry about work and other commitments.
- We were already going to visit Hawaii to visit family for a few weeks – so we decided to extend our trip. This way, we’re not spending an arm and a leg on airline travel.
- And why not? I’m not getting any younger. And I don’t want to look back and regret not doing it when I had the chance. I already regret not studying abroad in college, so this is my chance.
Have you taken a long-term trip with the family? Tell me your best travel tip.
DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Don’t Mess with Mama is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.