Need a quick and easy grain-free holiday cookie recipe? Check out this Grain Free Chocolate Cookie Recipe with Peppermint. These cookies are also Paleo, refined sugar free and can easily be made vegan (just swap out the egg for a vegan egg replacer).
I used to love the Peppermint Joe-Joe’s at Trader Joe’s (like peppermint Oreos but without as much of the junk). But since going gluten-free we haven’t found anything in store. So we made our own gluten free chocolate cookie recipe with candy cane bits and WOW! They are yummy. My kids loved eating these and requested we leave these out for Santa on Christmas Eve.
Now I tried a batch with whole cane sugar and it came out well too, but I will say the honey gave it a deeper, molasses-like flavor and the texture was a bit chewier. These cookies are pure bliss and make a wonderful DIY food gift for family and friends – just pack them in wide-mouth Mason glass jars for a rustic look.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other kitchen pantry supplies like sea salt, black pepper, spices,
coconut oil, and other essentials either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Bob’s Red Mill baking soda
, for instance, is about $3 at my local health food store and $6 on Amazon. But it’s only $2.03 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get 2 months free and 10% off your first order.
- 1 cup organic, creamy almond butter (either salted or unsalted works)
- 1/2 cup raw or organic honey (or coconut sugar)
- 1 pastured or organic egg (or replacer such as Ener-G)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp all-natural peppermint candy, crushed
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease cookie sheet with butter or parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Form tablespoon-sized balls and pat down to about 1/4-inch thickness. Lay out on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 min. Let cool and enjoy.
p.s. Looking for tips to transition to a real food or healthy gluten-free lifestyle? Check out my free Real Food Guide email course and e-book.disclosure.
Subscribe to the Don't Mess with Mama weekly email newsletter to get all this and much more!
- Latest DIY tutorials
- Natural health tips
- Real food recipes, including Paleo and gluten free
- Everyday ways you can live a more natural lifestyle
- Exclusive deals just for subscribers
And get a copy of my e-book, Real Food Guide: 5 Real Foods You Need in Your Diet.