Whenever my kids have a school picnic, birthday party, moms ‘n muffins morning, or other school function – THESE are my go-to treats.
In fact, my kids love these muffins so much that if I serve them along with cupcakes or cake at a birthday party, they’ll make a beeline straight for the muffins. I consider it a huge parenting feat if I can get my kids to eat zucchini muffins over a cupcake.
But here’s something that makes these Gluten-Free Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins even better… they’re refined-sugar free, dye-free, preservative-free and made with real-food ingredients. Awesome, right?
Well, there’s one more thing. These muffins have an extra boost of fiber – since this recipe calls for shredded apple and zucchini (with the peel and skin still on). It’s a great way to sneak in some greens from the zucchini and fiber from the apple first thing in the morning.
I have a couple more healthy swaps in this Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins recipe. The sweetener in this recipe is raw honey, which is so good for you, but if you prefer you can use coconut sugar instead. And add a few drops of Lemon essential oil (how to order) to give this recipe a boost of d-limonene and a light lemon flavor that brings out the zucchini and the apple.
I often make these gluten free muffins over the weekend, and serve these babies up for a breakfast treat on school mornings. They also freeze pretty well too, if you ever need a sweet treat but don’t want to bake from scratch.
Who’s ready to make some muffins? With just a 10 minute prep time, you can get these muffins in the oven and ready to serve in just 30 minutes. Another great alternative are these Grain-Free Pancake On-the-Go Muffins.
Where to Get Kitchen Pantry Essentials
I get my other kitchen pantry supplies like sea salt, black pepper, spices, coconut oil, and other essentials either on Amazon or my local health food store usually. But then I got a Thrive membership. If you don’t already have one – it’s awesome! It’s like Whole Foods meets Costco. Bob’s Red Mill baking soda, for instance, is about $3 at my local health food store and $6 on Amazon. But it’s only $2.03 (YES!) on Thrive Market. Great deal right? And the raw honey?! Don’t even get me started how much that costs at the health food store. But on Thrive Market it’s just $5.45 for a 10.5 oz jar of raw honey.
Sign up for a Thrive Market membership and get 2 months free and 10% off your first order.
- 2 cups all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3/4 cup raw honey
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 dash pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup organic, virgin coconut oil
- 1/3 cup raw milk (or your favorite milk alternative)
- 5-6 drops Lemon essential oil (how to order Young Living essential oils) or 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded apple
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, coconut oil, raw honey, milk, lemon essential oil (or lemon juice) and vanilla. Mix well, and then stir into dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed (no flour lumps).
- Add zucchini, apple and chocolate chips to mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
- Stick a toothpick to test whether the muffins are done.
Get a copy of my e-book 10 Beauty Hacks from Your Kitchen + my essential oils email course for FREE!
In my email course, you'll learn the basics of essential oils, how to use them, and easy DIY recipes you can make to save money!