Got dry skin? Nourish it with this DIY Rescue Skin Salve.
Why do I call it my rescue salve? Because it helps to moisturize and nourish skin – face, body, even lips – that needs a little help. Ever feel like you need something extra to rescue your skin? That’s this salve recipe. It’s made with coconut oil to naturally moisturize and Lavender essential oil to soothe skin.
This DIY Rescue Skin Salve Recipe works really well, but it can also be messy on the go. Coconut oil will melt easily if the weather is warm. I suggest storing this in the bathroom to use at home – morning and night.
This is also great for kids. I like to keep it on hand when I’m traveling or when I’m doing winter sports and need extra moisturizing.
About the Ingredients
1. Coconut oil is an excellent moisturizer, but it also has antimicrobial and antiviral properties.
2. Beeswax helps to protect the skin against irritants. In fact, it’s better than petroleum jelly as a barrier cream for the skin. In addition, the properties in beeswax provide antibacterial and antiviral benefits.
3. Lavender and Geranium essential oils help to soothe skin and smells great.
- 6 drops Lavender essential oil (buy it HERE)
- 4 drops Geranium essential oil (buy it HERE)
- 2 tbsp organic extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp organic beeswax pastilles
- 4 oz glass jar
- Use a double boiler on low heat to melt all ingredients (except essential oils).
- Remove from heat once melted and add essential oils.
- Fill lip balm tins and let cool for a couple of hours to firm up.
Note: You could make this without the beeswax. I included it because I like a cream or balm-like consistency. I live in Southern California and my coconut oil is usually a liquid due to the warm weather. I wanted a Homemade Natural Healing Salve Ointment Recipe that could fit in my purse to use for emergencies. The beeswax helps this salve maintain that consistency.
Learn More About Essential Oils
- Sign up for my FREE 14-day essential oil email newsletter to learn the basics.
- Join my Don’t Mess with Mama Essential Oils Facebook group to connect with others and share tips and recipes for DIY, beauty, cleaning and much more.
- Find out how to buy essential oils at wholesale, 24% off retail prices and get free sign-up goodies.
Photo credit: DepositPhotos.com / belchonock
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers, including Amazon and other affiliate partners.
DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Don’t Mess with Mama is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here. Any statements or claims about the possible health benefits conferred by any foods or supplements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.