Soothe your baby’s skin without harsh chemicals, petroleum products or breaking the bank with this DIY Natural Diaper Balm recipe made with Lavender essential oil.
I used to reach for natural and organic diaper creams to soothe my baby’s skin. And I would shell out up $6-10 for a tube of all-natural diaper cream. Now I reach for my DIY natural diaper balm made with Lavender oil. It’s dirt cheap and lasts for a long time.
DIY Natural Diaper Balm Recipe
- 4 tbsp organic extra-virgin coconut oil (buy it HERE)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp organic, cosmetic-grade beeswax pastilles (buy it HERE)
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil (where to buy HERE)
- 4 oz glass jar
Note: You could make this without the beeswax. I included it because I like a cream or balm-like consistency. I live in Southern California and my coconut oil is usually a liquid due to the warm weather. I wanted a DIY natural diaper balm that I could travel with and would stay solid in the middle of summer. The beeswax helps this diaper balm maintain that consistency.
- Use a double boiler on low heat to melt all ingredients (except essential oils).
- Remove from heat once melted and add essential oils.
- Fill lip balm tins and let cool for a couple of hours to firm up.
Makes about 3 oz of homemade diaper balm.
- $1.24 for Lavender oil ($30.92 for 15 ml or 250 drops)
- $0.68 for coconut oil ($7.55 for 16 oz. coconut oil)
- $0.47 for beeswax pastilles ($9.99 for 16 oz. of beeswax)
- $0.87 for 4 oz glass jar ($10.49 for set of 12 glass jars)
Total = $3.26 for 3 oz of all natural diaper balm (without the toxic chemicals)
Compare that with 3 oz of a store-bought organic diaper balm cream that retails for $10. That’s a huge cost savings.
Photo credit: DepositPhotos.com / crlanakhvorostova
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure.
Sign up to get a FREE copy of my e-book, The Essential Home: Quick Start Guide to DIY - available exclusively to subscribers.
You'll also get weekly updates with the latest DIY tutorials, natural health tips, and real food recipes.