I got the idea to do a dinosaur fossil craft when I browsed on Pinterest and saw this homemade holiday ornament craft from Homemade Grits. My kids loved seeing how dinosaur fossils were made.
We happened to have a velociraptor and stegosaurus bone toys, but you could use just a regular dinosaur toy to get the outline of the dinosaur. After the fossils were dried they were rock-solid and durable.
I gave my younger son a paint brush and he pretended he was a paleontologist excavating for dinosaurs in the sand at the park. Once he put the fossil in the dirt, it gave the fossil more color and it really looked like something he dug up.
DIY Dinosaur Fossil Craft
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 cup of water (plus an extra 1/4 cup as needed)
- Mix everything into a bowl. Consistency should be doughy but not too sticky – I needed to put in the 1/4 cup of additional water that I stated above to get the right consistency)
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch to 1/2 thickness (I didn’t need to flour the cutting board)
- Get a dinosaur toy and press into the dough
- Bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes – since ours were thicker we needed closer to 30 minutes
- Dough should be firm but not over baked. It will firm up once cooled down
We had enough dough to make 2 dinosaur fossils, 4 dinosaur eggs, and 4 dinosaur heads.
DISCLAIMER: The content on the blog Don’t Mess with Mama is for educational and informational purposes only, and is not intended as medical advice. I am not a medical professional and the information contained on this blog should not be used to diagnose, treat or prevent any disease or health illness. Please consult with a qualified health care professional before acting on any information presented here. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.
AMAZON DISCLOSURE: The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.