Years ago, my hair stylist introduced me to a popular hair styling serum with Argan oil. It was all the rage with celebrities, and lined the shelves of high-end salons and department stores. I used it faithfully for a while because I loved the scent and it did help to curb my split ends. It was my first introduction to Argan oil.
One day, I looked at the ingredients on the label and was shocked. It was touted as a nourishing hair treatment from Morocco packed with vitamins, antioxidants and fatty acids to repair dry and damaged hair. BUT the ingredient label told another story…
Here are just some of the ingredients in I found:
- Silicon-based hair emollients (cyclopentasiloxane, dimethicone and cyclomethicone) all listed as 2-3/10 1o being the worst) on the EWG’s SkinDeep cosmetic database1 and associated organ system toxicity, endocrine disruption and environmental toxicity.
- Synthetic fragrances (butylphenyl methylpropional and coumarin) both listed as a 7/10 (1o being the worst) on the EWG’s SkinDeep cosmetic database1 and associated with allergies and contact dermatitis. Butylphenyl methylpropional is linked to organ system toxicity and endocrine disruption.
- Fragrance masks (alpha-isomethyl ionone) listed as a 5/10 (1o being the worst) on the EWG’s SkinDeep cosmetic database1.
- Argania spinoza kernel oil (Argan oil)
- Linseed extract
- Cosmetic (artificial) colorants (D&C Yellow-11 and D&C Red-17) listed as a 1-4/10 and 5/10, respectively, (1o being the worst) on the EWG’s SkinDeep cosmetic database1 and associated with organ system toxicity.
- Solvents and preservatives (benzyl benzoate) listed as a 6/10 (1o being the worst) on the EWG’s SkinDeep cosmetic database1 due to endocrine disruption and associated with allergies and contact dermatits.
DIY Argan Oil Hair Serum
- 2 oz. pure, organic Argan oil
- 10 drops of Ylang Ylang oil
- 5 drops of Geranium oil
- 5 drops of Cedarwood oil (optional)
- Add Ylang Ylang, Geranium and Cedarwood oils to a bottle of Argan oil. Store in a cool, dry spot.
- Use 1-2 pumps on the ends of dry or wet hair (I prefer wet hair and I either air dry or blow dry), or as needed.
1. Skin Deep Database, Environmental Working Group.
Sign up to get a FREE copy of my e-book, The Essential Home: Quick Start Guide to DIY - available exclusively to subscribers.
You'll also get weekly updates with the latest DIY tutorials, natural health tips, and real food recipes.