I admit that as a former strict vegetarian the two things I missed were bacon and crispy beef (a delicious Chinese dish). I’m a little looser now and just stay away from red meat (still no bacon or crispy beef), but I do indulge in turkey bacon when I can.
Since my husband has gone paleo, we’ve been eating more turkey bacon and I was inspired to make a paleo BLT. In this version, I substituted avocado because tomatoes can be a trigger food for people with spondylitis (a type of rheumatoid arthritis that my husband has).
This recipe can even be made vegan by omitting the turkey bacon and substituting with sauteed mushrooms or even tomatoes.
- 8 leaves of Romaine lettuce
- 8 oz of turkey bacon (I love the uncured, nitrate-free version from Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium avocado, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2-4 tsp of The Rawtarian vegan mayonnaise (we’re not vegan but my husband is allergic to eggs so we can’t to traditional mayonnaise and this recipe is delicious – almost like a ranch dressing)
- Crisp up the bacon and set aside.
- Assemble the BLA: 2 leaves of lettuce, a few slices of bacon, avocado cubes, shredded cheese and topped with vegan mayonnaise.
Makes about 4 BLAs.