Do your kids love the ocean and wildlife? Check out Coastweeks at The Living Coast Discovery Center (formerly known as the Chula Vista Nature Center), a non-profit aquarium and zoo located on San Diego Bay in Chula Vista.
The Coastweeks Celebration runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 6, featuring family-fun activities, hands-on workshops, special speakers, daily themes, special events and more.
Daily Themes and Activities
- Shark and Ray Sundays – Get up-close and personal with baby sharks through interactive stations, hands-on games or get the VIP animal encounter to get to feed sharks and rays (pre-registration required).
- Marsh Mondays - Learn about the Sweetwater Marsh National Wildlife Refuge through a variety crafts, experiments, hands-on stations, animal encounters and on-site exhibits all while visiting with local wildlife.
- Tidal Zone Tuesdays – Explore the wide range of life that exists in each of the tidal zones. Touch sea stars, urchins and snails, and other marine critters.
- Watershed Wednesdays - Learn how you can reduce your water footprint while enjoying a variety of hands-on stations, an interactive local plant tour and even participate in a wild water fight!
- Turtle Thursdays - Watch endangered Eastern Pacific green sea turtles, and enjoy a variety of turtle crafts, turtle games and other hands-on stations. Sign up for the VIP animal encounter to get to feed the sea turtles (pre-registration required).
- Fishy Fridays - Explore the diverse habitats of local fish in the South Bay and unique anatomy up-close through dissections, dress up, games and crafts.
- Shore Bird Saturdays - Get to know the beautiful birds that make the coastal California wetlands their home. Participate in bird games, bird stories and even the ability to sign up for a special shore bird feed (limited space available). And if you come early on Saturdays, you can enjoy bird-watching and hiking in the refuge.
Coastal Cleanup at the Sweetwater Marsh National Wildlife Refuge
Sept. 15, 9 am to 12 pm
Get a free reusable tote bag with goodies inside, including a ticket to the Living Coast Discovery Center. Participants must be 10 years of age or older. Sign up at Clean Up Day.
Marsh Monday Kayak Adventures
Sept. 17, 8 to 10 am
Sept. 24, 4 to 6 pm
Oct. 1, 8 to 10 am
Take a paddle through the coastal waters of South Bay with a guided naturalist in search of birds, sea turtles and other local coastal wildlife. Great for kids and adults. Single and tandem kayaks are available for use, and are included in the registration costs. Pre-registration is required. $15 for members, $25 non-members for single kayak. $20 for members, $30 for non-members for double kayak. Sign up at The Living Coast Discovery Center.
Coastal Connections Weekly Lecture Series
Thursdays during Coastweeks, 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Listen to local experts on coastal issues and species. Space is limited, so pre-registration is required. Separate guided children activities available upon request for ages four to 10. Free for members, $10 for non-members. Sign up at The Living Coast Discovery Center.
Coastal Connections Marine Debris Art Workshops
Saturdays during Coastweeks, 1 to 3 pm
Best for ages 5 and up. Travel to a different coastal destination each week with local artist, Teresa Espaniola, to create creative and useful works of art using marine debris. Artistic ability not necessary. Snacks, festive music, door prizes, and an encounter with one of the Discovery Center’s animals will be provided each week. Limited space available, pre-registration suggested. $17 for adults and children (members), $31 for adults and $26 for children (non-members). Sign up at The Living Coast Discovery Center.
The Living Coast Discovery Center
1000 Gunpowder Point Drive
Chula Vista ,CA 91910
Open daily from 10 am to 5 pm
I will receive a family four-pack of admission tickets and a VIP Animal Encounter from The Living Coast Discovery Center. However, these opinions are my own. I was not otherwise compensated to write this blog post.