We ran out of sidewalk chalk one day and luckily I remembered I had a pin for sidewalk chalk paint. Gotta love Pinterest. Thanks to Mommy Knows for the recipe. We tried it and it was amazing. So easy to make using ingredients I already had in my house – and way cheaper since Crayola saves their sidewalk chalk paint for $14.99 for a set.
- Food dyes (this is pretty much the only time we use artificial food dye – for art projects)
1. Mix equal parts of cornstarch and water in a measuring cup. I did about a cup of each. Then divide into a couple of muffin tins. The tins will be the paint palette.
2. Let your kids add a few drops of food color to each muffin tin mold. You can mix and match colors at this point, if you like.
3. Mix well for each muffin tin mold, then take outside and give your kids a few paint brushes.
4. Watch your kids go crazy over this cool paint set – that probably just set you back a few pennies. My kids usually mix paints at this stage to make new colors. In my experience, the paint stays on the sidewalk for a day or two but can be cleaned up sooner with a hose.