Lately I’ve been obsessed with finding DIY cleaners for my home. I’m just tired of buying expensive organic brands and wouldn’t think of using brands that load up bleach and other chemicals to clean my house.
This was is my favorite. I was inspired to use tea tree oil because my Pilates studio uses it to clean their equipment after each class, and I’ve come to find the scent soothing.
This mixture is great for spraying down counters, stove tops, kitchen cabinets, dining tables and chairs, bathroom counters, and even toilets. The hydrogen peroxide and tea tree oil are natural disinfectants. It’s my go-to household cleaner. Use it with a reusable kitchen cloth to save on paper towels.
- Hydrogen peroxide
- 5-10 drops of tea tree oil (I use the Trader Joe’s brand)
- A capful of Dr. Bronner’s castile liquid soap (I love peppermint)
- Spray bottle
- Mix an equal amount of water and hydrogen peroxide. I recommend either 1/2 cup each or no more than 1 cup each. There’s a reason why hydrogen peroxide bottles are in a dark brown container. If hydrogen peroxide is exposed to sunlight then it isn’t as effective as a disinfectant. So I prefer to use small amounts and just make a new batch as needed.
- Add Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap and tea tree oil (for 1/2 cup each of water and hydrogen peroxide use about 5 drops – for 1 cup each water/peroxide use 10 drops).
- Put mixture into a spray bottle. Shake and start using.