I still can’t believe how quickly I whipped this up, and it was amazing. My husband even raved about it – and he’s really honest when my concoctions don’t pan out well. I once made brownies out of a box (I substituted olive oil for vegetable oil and cooked them about 20 minutes too long) that turned into what he calls “Chinese fighting brownies” because they were rock hard they could be used as a weapon like a Japanese ninja star.
But these sandwiches are delicious, you won’t need to make weapons out of these… they’ll be gone in two seconds.
My mother in law brought over Jalapeno cheese bread. I instantly knew I’d be using it for grilled cheese. If you can’t find Jalapeno cheese bread, I think any cheese bread will do or even just a regular sourdough.
- 4 slices of Jalapeno cheese bread
- 4 slices of cheese (I used cheddar but a pepper jack cheese would have been even better)
- 2 avocados, sliced
- About 2 oz. sliced deli turkey
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 2-3 tsp of Trader Joe’s low-fat Cilantro salad dressing (I buy bottles of this stuff, it’s my absolute favorite dressing)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat pan on medium heat.
- Butter all 4 slices of bread on one side only.
- Assemble your sandwich: Get 1 slice of bread (butter side down), then top with a layer of cheese, 1/2 of the turkey, 1/2 avocado slices, another layer of cheese, and another slice of bread (butter side up). Repeat to make 2nd sandwich.
- Place both sandwiches in pan – make sure the buttered side of the bread is always facing the pan.
- Flip over and cook until cheese is melted and bread is browned. Set aside and let cool.
- Slice tomatoes. Assemble on plates. Place 1/2 of sliced tomatoes on one plate, and the remaining half on another place. Top each of the tomato slices with avocado slices. Drizzle with Trader Joe’s Cilantro dressing.
- Cut sandwiches diagonal and arrange on plates.
Makes 2 servings.