I read a great article in the latest issue of Marie Claire about how skincare line creator Tata Harper started her company. Her dad was diagnosed with cancer and the doctors at Mayo Clinic wanted to look at all the skincare products he was using.
I’ve heard skincare products can contain toxins and carcinogens but it was compelling to read that doctors told Tata Harper’s dad to ditch all the toxic skincare products as part of his treatment regiment.
I’ve been using organic, non-toxic shampoos, conditions, body lotions, and other skincare products for the kids – as well as started using non-toxic dishwasher detergent, dish soap, and laundry detergent. But I haven’t been so diligent for my own skincare products.
So here’s where I’m starting:
- Trader Joe’s vitamin C facial lotion – which I’m giving to my husband. He currently uses baby lotion on his face. It makes his skin soft but it’s not an organic line and doesn’t do anything for preventing wrinkles.
- Dr. Bonner’s 18-in-1 hemp peppermint pure castile soap – apparently this can be used for everything from shampoo, body wash, carpet cleaner, floor cleaner, hand soap, and even mouthwash (diluted, of course). I’m planning to use in the shower as body wash for myself and the kids. California Baby is getting way expensive.
- Trader Joe’s hand soap – I was using the Method brand and thought I was in good shape but after reading the label more closely I found their hand soaps contain sodium laurel sulfate.
- Trader Joe’s household cleaner – I need a spray bottle for cleaning up kitchen messes and the dining room table.
- I just ordered moisturizer, serum, and eye cream from Ole Henriksen. It’s supposed to be a great natural line of skincare. I’ve heard great things about Juice Beauty too – I may try them next.
Next, I’m looking for natural, non-toxic make-up. Do you have a make-up line that you love? I want to know. I’m looking for a replacement for my Mac pressed powder and eye shadows.