70+ recipes both kids and adults will love + tips on how to avoid processed foods.
It’s the middle of cold and flu season, and it seems everywhere I look people are getting sick. Even my kids’ school is send out warnings of stomach flu, regular flu, strep throat and nasty bouts of colds that are going around.
So far, my oldest son has had the stomach flu and my youngest son had a chest cold. With the help of essential oils, both of my sons were able to beat their illnesses naturally and I was able to prevent the rest of our family from getting sick. I also made a homemade electrolyte drink and cold-busting gummy snacks to help my son recover quicker.
The stomach flu only lasted 2 days and with the help of Thieves and Purification essential oils I was able to disinfect my entire house without harmful chemicals. And my youngest son had a chest cold, which he usually has for at least 2- weeks, but he got over it in just a week with the help of Thieves and Peppermint essential oils.
This is the first time I’ve turned to essential oils to help treat and prevent colds and flu in my home, and it’s made a world of difference. My favorite essential oils are from Young Living (find out where you can buy them). I’ve found that essential oils can help with a multitude of cold symptoms, as well as help to promote recovery, and I’m excited to share these tips with you.
Join my exclusive Facebook group to learn more about essential oils.
Note: While these remedies work for my family, I am not a doctor or medical professional (please read my full disclaimer). I do research extensively and only try natural remedies that I think are safe and effective for my family.
10 Ways to Beat a Cold Naturally with Essential Oils
1. Sore Throat - Add a few drops of Thieves to a small cup of filtered water and gargle for a few minutes. You can also make an all-natural throat spray. Add a few drops of Thieves and filtered water to a small spray bottle and use as needed.
2. Chest Congestion - Apply a few drops of Thieves or RC and a carrier oil (such as jojoba, sweet almond, coconut or apricot kernel oil - try a 50/50 mix with essential and carrier oils) in hands and inhale for a few seconds. Then apply to the to the chest and back.
3. Cough - Mix 1-2 drops of Thieves with a teaspoon of raw or organic honey. Take a few times a day as needed.
4. Runny Nose - Apply 1-2 drops of Thieves and Lavender to a handkerchief or cloth napkin. Inhale the scent and wipe as needed. The Thieves oil boost immunity, while the Lavender soothes sore or raw skin from excessive wiping (this was a lifesaver for my toddler son who was red and raw from excessive nose wiping – the redness cleared up in 2 days).
5. Sinus Headaches - Mix 1-2 drops of Peppermint and Lavender with a carrier oil (50/50) to a handkerchief or cloth napkin. Inhale the scent for a few minutes. Apply the oil mix to the temples and back of the neck.
6. Body Aches - Take an Epsom salt bath with 2-3 drops each of Thieves, Peppermint and Lavender essential oils. The Epsom salt helps to soothe body aches and pains, while the Thieves and Peppermint oils build immunity and Lavender soothes tired muscles.
7. Ear Aches - Add 2 drops of Thieves and Purification essential oils with a carrier oil (50/50) and apply to a cotton swab. Apply around the opening of the ear (NOT in the ear). Or add 2 drops of Thieves essential oil to a cotton ball and place over the ear (NOT in the ear) overnight. You may need to affix surgical tape to keep the cotton ball in place.
8. Stomach Aches - Mix 1-2 drops of Thieves and a carrier oil and rub on feet before bed. Mix a few drops of DiGize or Peppermint essential oils and a carrier oil and rub on the tummy. Add a few drops of Thieves and Purification essential oils to a diffuser.
9. Boost Immunity - Add a few drops of Thieves and Peppermint essential oils to a diffuser. This will help to kill 99% of the airborne bacteria. It also helps to build immunity for those in the room inhaling the essential oils.
10. Faster Recovery – Mix 1-2 drops of Thieves and a carrier oil and rub on feet before bed. This is also helpful in cold prevention. And for kids who have trouble sleeping, add 1-2 drops of Lavender to a favorite blanket or stuffed animal to encourage sleep.
Where to Buy Essential Oils
I only recommend Young Living therapeutic-grade essential oils. Find out where to buy Young Living essential oils HERE. I recommend the Everyday Oils kit – which contains 10 of the most popular Young Living essential oils, including Thieves, Purification, Lavender and Peppermint. You can get the Everyday Oils in the premium starter kit, along with a diffuser, at wholesale pricing – 24% off retail prices.
Essential Oils Facebook Group
Join the Don’t Mess with Mama Essential Oils Facebook group for other ideas on how to use essential oils for natural remedies, DIY beauty recipes, household solutions and much more.
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog. Please see all my disclosures and disclaimers, including Amazon and other affiliate partners.